Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / Religious Life / Church of Ioannis Prodromos
Print this page
Church of Ioannis Prodromos

Located in the centre of Agios Ioannis Lefkosias is the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, which constitutes the main church of the community.

The church was constructed around the middle of the 19th century and more specifically in 1856. After the great earthquake in the 1960s, the church underwent some repair works, while the bell tower was repaired more recently, at the same time when a paved forecourt and fencing wall were constructed using local stone. 

What is noteworthy is that the west side of the church is adorned by a built-in lion’s head of the 14th century which originates from Achera. 

The interior of the church is adorned by a wooden iconostasis. Particularly interesting is an icon of Christ which is dated back to the 16th century and more specifically to 1540.

Source:
Agios Ioannis Lefkosias Community Council   

 
 
« July 2019 »
MTWTFSS
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031 
 
 
 
 
CONTACT US
 

COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF AGIOS IOANNIS LEFKOSIAS
Kyriacou Matsi 2
Agios Ioannis, 2611, Nicosia
Tel: 22634311, 99759718
Fax: 22634310
E-mail: agioanm.
council@cytanet.com.cy

 
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc